April 26, 2014 for some people might have been a completely relaxing Saturday that was complemented with lounging around the house, doing a bit of Internet Surfing or just taking a long overdue nap. However on that date yours truly actually witnessed something totally EPIC. As I am typing this write-up right now I still couldn’t help but smile.
|Kai of Amaterasu Reads, Hazel of Stay Bookish, Sab of Sab The Book Eater, Kate of The Bookaholic Blurbs were just a few of the bloggers I saw during the forum.|
Suddenly the three authors I have been waiting for finally came. There weren’t a lot of people there (which was such a treat) and I got to see them discussing certain topics without having my foot squished or my back pushed by some random stranger (true story). The bloggers asked tons of great questions and I was really fortunate to take an extremely subtle part in it.
|The massive crowd at the Book Signing Event! Over 2,000 people attended and most of them got their books signed.|
|Veronica, Tahereh and Ransom having a photo opp behind the huge crowd!
(Sorry for the crappy shot! I didn’t have an ideal view, obviously)
|The authors answering some questions!|
Here are some of those tidbits:
- Veronica Rossi is currently writing a new Young Adult book series that she compared to The Avengers (Whoa! Excitement all over!)
- Ransom Riggs and Tahereh Mafi’s romance started when Kami Garcia (co-author of Beautiful Creatures) introduced them to each other. Ever since their first meeting they became good friends and eventually their relationship blossomed into something more (cue in the awwww…).
- Ransom and Tahereh were actually writing partners and they are very enthusiastic with each other’s works.
- Veronica’s husband was actually her first reader. She also said that her husband is actually a beautiful writer and she thinks that he is a better writer than her.
- Tahereh and Veronica’s books are currently being optioned for a big screen adaptation. Ransom’s book is actually being adapted by, wait for it, TIM BURTON (director of The Nightmare Before Christmas and the live-action adaptation of Alice in Wonderland). They are about to shoot in August and are still on the process of casting.
- Veronica doesn’t have any dream cast for her characters. She believes that a very talented actor, whoever he/she is, will bring life to the words she has written and that is what really matters to her.
- Tahereh agrees with Veronica. She also added that she doesn’t like to name drop actors because some people might get upset with her choices. Although, she said that Colton Haynes would make a good Adam (which resulted in a lot of fangirl screams).
- What does it take to be a YA author?
- Ransom said that you have to be able to access the experiences you had when you were a teenager.
- Tahereh said that it takes a lot of hardwork and perseverance. You have to find a day job to be able to finance the dream.
- Veronica said do NOT patronize teenagers. Do not sugarcoat the reality of that age. Honesty in portraying the teen years is really important.
- How do you come up with story ideas? (not the exact wording of the question):
- Ransom said that ever since he was a kid he has been living in an imaginary world of his making. He says that there are certain questions he had in mind and he tries to answer those questions by writing.
- Tahereh said that she is very dependent on the characters when writing her books. As she discovers her characters and how she develops them everything else falls into place.
- Veronica said that writing really legitimized her being a daydreamer. She writes the stories that she wants to read. She also loves a really good epic. A good balance of action, romance, rich characters and complex relationships is important in her books.
I also gave out some hand drawn bookmarks (which I made myself, so forgive me if it looks really amateur) to the three authors as a little token of my appreciation!